Friday, June 24, 2011

Why we like Mumbai cabbies

So what if they’re calling for a flash strike this Monday to voice against their unmet demands? I like them still. Here’s why.

They’re honest
: Well, most of them are anyways. They don’t misguide you when you ask for directions. They don’t drive you around to hike up the meter. They can be safely depended upon to drive to your destination late at nights, especially if you are alone and of the female persuasion. 

They have attitude: Who would not love the quick head gesture they give you to indicate their willingness to drive you?

They’re good conversationalists: They’re like bartenders who listen to your drowning sorrows. Crib about traffic, the rains, the potholes, or the politicians and they’re there to give you ear – and participate.  

They don’t look: And you know what I mean! They give young lovers space and don’t (or at least try not to) look into the rear view.

Their tricked-out cabs: The pretty decorations, psychedelic roof and its-so-cheap-I-love-it upholstery make the ride so kitsch-ilicious!  

Their music: We love their loud dhinchak stereo. So what if that’s static you hear in the background.
   

1 comment:

krypton02 said...

I think you're right about the conversationalist cabbies. I like that about them too. You know, strangely enough, one time when I went to Atria Mall, me and the cabbie started off a conversation. I guess he noticed my Hindi wasn't fluent at all and when I got out of the cab upon reaching the mall, he said,'Have a nice day.' I was so surprised and it just felt so nice! I said, 'You too!' There's a very reassuring sense in talking to strangers sometimes, I feel. The nice ones. :-)