Friday, July 1, 2011

Do you have a humerus?

Are you a bag of funny bones?  Do you enjoy the frequent bon mot and are ever ready to share a moment of mirth with fellow human beings? Good. Then you have the capacity to fight any problem. For humour, as they have said, is our defense against the universe.  

Whether it is slapstick or quick wit, a repartee or irony, humour has forever found a special place in the history of mankind. It can connect two people, like it connects two drinkers. It can improve your mood and definitely your face.     

Humour can be your savior, your strength, your edge, your style. God knows how Mumbaikars need it simply to survive in the city. I met up with a really close friend after almost five years the other day. He was in transit – in Mumbai for two days – on his way to London. Into our second mug of beer, he remarked that I still hadn’t lost my sense of humour, even after all those years. And I realised that I couldn’t afford to, at least not while I was still living in this city.

Unfortunately, London’s frigid weather had not done him any good.  

No comments: