Monday, June 13, 2011

A tug at my heart

It’s only been 4 ½ months but it already feels like a lifetime ago. Flashbacks come and go. But the memory lingers still.

The rafting season is about to begin. And I’m itching to see how the river – that was frozen not 5 months ago – flows with full force. I want to go back and see how the ice, that had intimidated and excited us, thaws. I want to meet its people, who in the winter had carried the sun in their hearts, and who will now be warmer than ever.    

I want to taste the thukpa again and see how its taste has changed on my palate. I want to experience its buzzing streets, that in winter lay deserted. I want to feel the cool wind that brings with it green summer, that a few months ago had brought the winter chill.

A place that can be harsh, but equally loving. A hearth for the weary, but one that is only mine. A place that is no one else’s to sully. Or to triumph. That no one else can claim. A feeling that is only mine to experience.

No comments: