Sunday, January 2, 2011

I’ve been poked!

Ouch! Luckily, it only hurt my sensibility. Not wanting to be the only person in my demographic to be on the wrong side of Facebook, I finally succumbed to it.

I should’ve known better though. I get poked for no fault of mine, am asked to play games and use applications I don’t want to, get invited to Farmville parties without a venue and dress code and get requests to throw snowballs of which I see no signs around. It’s all so confusing.

Facebookers send each other virtual cakes and whatnots, but what good are they when you can’t eat them. What really gets my goat though is reading Facebook messages in my inbox and then signing into Facebook just to reply to them. It feels like I’m working backwards and spending more time instead of less to communicate. Either that or I’m doing it all wrong.

I guess different people use it in their own different way. A friend has synched his GTalk status with his Facebook and Twitter and god knows what else just so his friends know what he’s doing at precisely that minute. Another friend is on Facebook but undercover. No, I don’t mean he’s inactive, he’s just undercover.

Facebook was probably meant to supplement rather than substitute our ‘real’ life. And many have succeeded in doing that – not making it an end in itself but a means to an end. Don’t get me wrong – there are many things I love about it. It has brought people closer and it’s more like two and half degrees of separation these days. It prompts me about my friends’ birthdays so I no longer have to depend on my failing memory. But what I love most about it is the fact that it lets me appear more interesting than I actually am!      

I’m wondering whether I should be rude and poke back the person who poked me or should I refrain and appear rude.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe its not just about Facebook. Its about the attitude of certain people to get obsessed, misuse, overuse certain things. :) There are people making millions out of social networking, on a flip side there are people spending millions of minutes just doing nothing. Like they say, the best way to pass time is to let the time pass :)