Sunday, December 19, 2010

Horn not OK please

I enrolled myself for driving lessons at WIAA as soon as I turned 18 and to everyone’s surprise I passed the test – in one go. I was very good. You might have heard of the two ‘How To’ bestsellers I wrote: 7-Point Parking and Driving Without Mirrors.

I wasn’t always good though. As a learner I always had to be reminded about: a) making hand signals, and b) using the horn. In my instructor’s words, I was behaving “like a marwari” and that using the horn was actually “free”. In retrospect, I think his edginess might be a direct result of me being at the wheel, which is understandable. I had that effect on a lot of people. I say that in past tense because I only resort to public transport these days.

But the instructor’s words indicate the general mindset of Indian drivers these days. How often have you had to disconnect the call on your cell phone while you were on the road because you couldn’t even hear yourself? Or grimaced at a driver tooting away to glory? Cold stares don’t work and confrontations are a waste. As a pedestrian, you don’t have too many rights here. And why must 'pedestrian' also mean 'ordinary'?

I suppose India has its own set of rules and etiquettes for almost everything. A honk would almost always display rudeness on the part of the driver in most countries but in India it’s just a way of announcing your presence – I’m here so you better get out of my face! But gone are the days of road rage; pedestrian rage is the fad these days.

No comments: