Tuesday, January 25, 2011

From chadar to Chadar

There was no logical explanation when, after almost a month of oscillation, I answered in the affirmative. I had agreed to go for a trekking expedition. To Ladakh. In the winter.

Even though Ladakh has been my dream destination for as long as I can remember, discounting Mount Everest of course, I never thought my first visit there would be in such conditions. I arrived at this decision using the only method I use to arrive at all major decisions in my life – sheer impulsiveness.



Rightfully, I’ve been warned. The fitter I am, the more enjoyable will be the trek – for everyone else too. And here I was worrying about the gear! Living in Bombay, the only altitude I am acclimatised to is the third floor of my building from sea level. And the lowest temperatures I am acquainted with is 20 degrees Celsius under as against -20 under on Zanskar.       

So after almost a month and a fortnight of worrying and buying, borrowing and stealing of gear, I’m not sure if I’m fit enough. I have almost a week before I get there so I have devised a regime of sorts. The only thing to do now is get out from the comfort of my chadar to get myself on the Chadar!      

No comments: