Friday, September 13, 2013

A memory in sepia: Kolkata

I'm always under the influence of nostalgia when I'm visiting this city. It is where i was born and where I spent the better part of my first year. 

That is why, when i think of Kolkata, i don't imagine bad roads or poverty. Victoria Memorial doesn't come to mind and neither does Flurry's. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if i have been to Flurry's.


Flurry's on Park Street
I think of starched dhoti and kurta and yummy imartees. A neighbourhood with such an air of old-world charm that it is almost poignant - like a sad but beautiful Bengali movie. Shankha pola (traditional Bengali red and white bangles) and feet coloured in alta.       

While growing up, i found myself in Kolkata during every summer vacation. Sometimes i would fly alone under the care of an airhostess because none of my parents were free to accompany me.


Poster for a Bengali movie near Maniktalla
Gradually my visits tapered down to just family weddings. And now, not even that. 

My recent visit to Kolkata left me a trifle disappointed. Most of South Kolkata looks like Mumbai with malls, restaurants and commercial buildings. North Kolkata seems to be heading that way. Trams are disappearing and there are more cars on the road. The ubiquitous green windows are slowly disappearing and residential towers are replacing the distinctive and ornamental two-floored buildings.


When i shared my misgivings with a friend who has lived in Kolkata all his life, he said that it was about time that even Kolkata saw a bit of development. 


Of course, the benefits of this are plenty. But unfortunately, so are the downsides. 


Read my following blog for more on how Kolkata has changed.   


No comments: