Saturday, March 28, 2015

Guest post: 55 hours in Istanbul

Day 1
I had butterflies in my stomach on my flight to Istanbul. No, it wasn't because of the turbulence. This trip was special because it was my first solo international trip.

I had a stopover in Istanbul on my way to Mumbai and I had decided at the last minute to prolong it by spending a little more than two days in the city.

We got greeted by the season’s first heavy snowfall as soon as my flight touched down at the Istanbul Ataturk airport. It was my first snow experience and I already knew this trip was going to be a memorable one. Breezing through immigration (yes, the airport authorities were quick) I stepped outside of the airport to finally experience tiny flakes of snow land slowly on my palm.


I had pre-booked my stay and ride, which I highly recommend. The moment you leave the airport, you will see 3-4 storied red-roofed buildings on both sides of the roads. Ten minutes into the journey and Istanbul reminded me of one thing about Mumbai I hate the most – the never-ending traffic. But unlike Mumbai, it was easy to deal with thanks to the beautiful view of the Bosphorus strait that stretches along the entire shoreline.


You can see ships docked for as far as the eye can see. And the water was so clean. The promenade is lined with trees and has seating area, jogging tracks and playing area for kids.

Where I stayed
I stayed in Asur Hotel which is located in the tourist area of Hoca Paşa. It is a budget hotel, clean, small and not a very pretty hotel but it's very close to the historical sites. The rates vary depending on the season so it's best you compare the rates with hotels around. There are many hotels in this area and all of them are pretty similar. 

For a first-timer, this area seems like a good choice since its walking distance from most historic sites. Most hotels are cramped in few lanes around these sites and the hotels themselves are tiny. But then again, hotel size and grandeur wasn't a priority for me.
Hagia Sofia
I dropped my bag at the hotel and headed out to see the sunset near Sultanahmet. Pretty much every historical site that you see in an Istanbul ad is in and around Sultanahmet. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, The Basilica Cistern and Topkapi Palace are the top 4 monuments which are literally two minutes from each other. Although they are close to each other, you will easily take an entire day to visit each and every site. 

The first thing I noticed when I stepped out of my hotel was the amount of attention I got from the men. It's not something I am used to so this scared me enough to want to go back to my room. Luckily, I met an American lady who had settled down in Istanbul two decades ago. She told me to ignore these advances because they were all trying to sell something – carpets, artifacts, and even sex as some of them double up as gigolos.

What I visited
* Blue Mosque
This is Istanbul’s pride and stands tall with six minarets and a huge centre dome. Since this is a living mosque, make sure you are well-covered and is closed to non-worshipers during prayer times which happen five times a day. Calls for the prayer meets though are divine. The Blue Mosque isn't as blue as you think it will be; the blue tiles are in sections that are not accessible to general public. Be warned that here are a lot of beggars around this place as are pickpockets.  

* Hagia Sophia 
The Hagia Sophia was a Greek Orthodox Church for 916 years after which it got converted into a mosque. It is bang opposite the Blue Mosque. The beauty of this place is its Byzantine architecture. Make sure you sit through the video presentation to understand more about this place. 


* Basilica Cistern
The largest of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie beneath the city, it provided water to the Topkapi palace nearby. Be very careful when entering the cistern; the floors are wet and the place is dark. The images don't really come out very well so make sure you carry a good camera. It's a little disappointing considering you spend almost 20-30 liras on a ticket. 

* Topkapi Palace
My hotel manager told me that I would take around two hours to visit every section of the palace. Boy, was he wrong. It took me 5-plus hours. This palace is so beautiful it would be unfair to miss anything in it. This was the residence for the Ottoman Emperors for about 400 years after which it lost its importance to the new palace Dolmabahce. 

It has a room filled with antique clocks that were used in the palace – some made with real gold and precious stones. My favorite section was the room with royal jewelry. The sheer size of the diamonds encrusted in the necklaces and bracelets were incredible.

When at the palace make sure you go to the Grand Kiosk section where you can get a panoramic view of the Bosphorus. You also get a beautiful view of both side of Turkey - the Asia part as well as Europe. Perfect place for a photo-op.

Most of these historical sites have an entrance fee ranging from 20-50 liras but the money spent is worth it because everything is well-preserved. Don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes to enjoy this place. If ever you have a stopover at Istanbul like I did, make sure you stay for at least 2 days

Visa requirements
If you have a valid Schengen/US/UK visa, you can apply for an e-visa at the airport which is a fairly simple process. If you don't have any, visit the visa centre for more information. 



*************************************************

Abou
t the author
Diksha Singh is an engineer in biotechnology but she is biding her time doing online marketing for a travel media house. She has the exuberance of the young, which is often catching. A self-confessed control freak and a foodie, this serial photo-clicker will endure even chilly winds to get a good selfie. You can write to her at happyhappyradio@gmail.com

1 comment:

mianali said...

I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you have any more info on this?Visto Indiano