Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chop, chop. And chin up!


There’s a very good reason why I get haircuts only once every six months. Two, in fact. a) My hair takes its own bloody time to grow out and b) Getting a decent haircut in Bombay these days costs an arm and a leg. And im running out of places to hide the bodies.

No, seriously, I remember a time when I used to pay Rs 250 for a haircut (not trimming). This was when I was still in junior college and already planning my monthly expenses. Now I’m forced to pay upto (shudder) Rs 1,300! And that’s the lower range in a high-class (read b:blunt) salon.

I kept going back and forth on whether I should be shelling out that much money just for a haircut, specially when the *same* hairstylist at the *same* place charged me Rs 850 just six months ago. 

Finally, I decided to get some opinions, which one is never short of in this country. So I made the mistake of asking a male friend whether he thought it was worth it. He was pretty decent about it: “I’m the wrong person to ask about this because this is straightway 26 times more than what I pay for a haircut.”


Fair enough. So I ask another friend (making sure that this one is of the female persuassion and could be easily manipulated to give me the answer I was looking for). “Rs 1,300 is alright. I’m going for a haircut myself and paying my regular stylist Rs 1,500.” Perfect!

But before you start judging me and shoving me into the ‘Will do anything to appear fashionable’ category, hear me out. The only reason I’m going back to this stylist, even though she’s upped her ante by Rs 450 is because she gives me the haircut that I want, not what she wants to give. Simple.    

No comments: