Thursday, September 1, 2011

Oh, seedy!


Lately, I’ve been having this serious desire to wear disposable rubber gloves at home and outside. But I know I’d be doing that at the risk of appearing even more loony.  

I’ve known for some time now that I have a slight case of OCD. On good days, I have it completely under control. But there are days when I struggle. Which is why I find solace in watching ‘Monica’ do her thing in ‘Friends’.  

It started with wanting to keep all my school books neatly on my table, one on top of the other, at right angles. One thing led to another and I soon found myself de-cluttering all the time. My latest obsession is wearing gloves at all times so my hands remain clean – while opening the bathroom door, holding the train handles, touching the pantry table while eating lunch in office.



But I think of myself as among the saner ones. I know people who cannot get on with their lives if all the rupee notes in their wallet have not been arranged a certain way, who need to check at least three times if their car is locked before walking away, who must clean every inch of their house before they can step out. The list is endless, really.

Living with OCD is tough. But whats worse is when people around you don’t pretend to understand it. Fortunately, I’m comfortably in the green because it hasn’t started to affect my daily life. In fact, I often use it to my advantage, like when I have to go to the ‘burbs when its been raining (“it’s too dirty to travel”) or when mother asks me to cook (“I can’t work in a dirty kitchen”).

So it’s all good. At least till the time I don’t start getting my eyebrows done at right angles.      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG.. you too Haze?? I have crazy OCD, and the older I get, the worse it gets :( Sometimes I wish I could just relax and not obsess over unnecessary details... am so going to regret wasting all that time when I'm 60...!!!!