Friday, November 26, 2010

Do the strings!

I’ve just discovered that I have short hamstring muscles. I’m not saying that because I’m short, because I ain’t. Most times (and so it is in this case) it’s genetic – like flat footedness, but not as popular. Shorter hamstrings mean that I frequently suffer from mild backaches because of the constant pressure on my lower back.

The only remedy for this is to do stretch exercises – which wouldn’t have been a problem if my boyfriend and I hadn’t split up. I’m just kidding of course. We haven’t. No, seriously, I have been doing stretching exercises recommended by my yoga instructor and it seems to be helping.

But I’ve had serious bad luck as far boyfriends are concerned. It’s not so much as having bad luck WITH them as much as having trouble FINDING them. Some friends think I’m too choosy (untrue), others feel I’m a complete clutz when it comes to this (bullshit), and the rest think it’s just a matter of fate (possible). My theory is that there has been a complete lack of single, with a lot of emphasis on interesting, guys in Bombay since I turned 19, which was a long time ago – in another century.

In effect, I’ve had no strings attached since my first relationship which ended with him marrying a higher soul (she was a doctor) much against my wishes. Ironically, this clashed with the Y2K fiasco that completely rocked the IT industry of which I was a tiny part at the time. So people in office mistook my hurt look for concern about the world economy.

And while the IT industry did get out of the whole ‘millennium bug’ chaos, I took my own time getting back to being happy. As they say, the first cut is the deepest. I took up music to distract myself but even in that I chose the saddest sounding instrument – the violin. I fiddled with it for some time – first learning Indian classical and then turning to Western classical – and let me tell you that whichever classical you take up, violin is a bloody difficult thing to learn. I just couldn’t get the strings right. Maybe I should take up puppetry.  

1 comment:

krypton02 said...

Well, about the boyfriend thing and finding a man just in general is pretty hard. But may be what we, women tend to do wrong is the fact we are chasing it pretty hard. I mean, it's just a theory. May be it will come to you when the time is right. I don't know if it would be a forever thing and I can't tell what the future holds but I like believing. It's something that makes you happy. :-)