Friday, April 13, 2012

So long, SoBo *sniff*

It's been a while since I updated this space. And for good reason too. I have been in mourning.


The loss is of so many things. And it all started with the change of my postal address. The zip code that was once '7' for more than 32 years is now a '52'. My neighbourhood that was once South Bombay has now moved northwards to the suburbs.


Many would view this as a good thing. More restaurants, more places to hang out in the nights, more people, and cheap autos, they say. The 'burbs never sleep, they say, and South Bombay is dead. What's your problem, they ask.


I'd tell them but they'd never understand. The quiet little lane that I lived in had everything but the above. And that's what made it so endearing. No autos! Fewer cars on the roads after 8pm, not many night spots with no late-night brawls breaking out. And you know what else? Footpaths!


But more than anything, the suburbs are like glitzy malls with glossy glass cover. South Bombay has character. And you know what else? It has my childhood.



No comments: